Singpost ~ Quest For Amusement
SEARCH BLOG


Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Touch Screen Monitors Research - Acer T232HL 23" and Acer T272HL 27" Versus Dell S2340T 23" Versus Philips 273P3LPHEB 27"


Since the Leap Motion Launch has been pushed back to 22 July 2013, I've been on the lookout for a Touch Screen Monitor.

Reason being, I would like to utilize the Windows 8 software that I've bought, as well as to get a semi-entertainment/TV kinda kick-ass monitor in my room.




I wanna play games like "Cut The Rope",




zoom in on Photos and Maps with my fingers and







surf the web with my hands and watch HD Videos.




Even play a digital piano on screen. 




I guess it's really just for fun and to learn new technology that involves swiping and other defined hand gestures on screen. 



A recent trip to Funan Shopping Center in Singapore led to the discovery of these new shortlisted Touch Screen Monitor Products. If you would like to test try the actual product displays, it's located at the top level, Challenger store.


Shortlisted Product Listing
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. S$599 - Acer T232HL 23" (23 Inch Touch Screen Monitor)

2. S$799 - Acer T272HL 27" (27 Inch Touch Screen Monitor)

3. S$769 - Dell S2340T 23" (23 Inch Touch Screen Monitor) , Previously USD899

Another Monitor That Caught My Eye, though not Touch Screen:
4. S$499 - Philips 273P3LPHEB (27 Inch Monitor , Non Touch Screen)



Shortlisted Product Images 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. S$599 - Acer T232HL bmidz 23-Inch Touch Screen LCD Display (23 Inch Touch Screen Monitor)

2. S$799 - Acer T272HL bmidz 27-Inch Touch Screen LCD Display (27 Inch Touch Screen Monitor)



3. S$769 - Dell S2340T 23" Multi-Touch Monitor (23 Inch Touch Screen Monitor) , Previously USD899








Another Monitor That Caught My Eye:

4. S$499 - P-line 273P3LPHEB - LCD-Display - TFT (27 Inch Monitor , Non Touch Screen)







-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------










Shortlisted Product Videos-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. S$599 - Acer T232HL 23" (23 Inch Touch Screen Monitor)




2. S$799 - Acer T272HL 27" (27 Inch Touch Screen Monitor)



3. S$769 - Dell S2340T 23" (23 Inch Touch Screen Monitor) , Previously USD899







Another Monitor That Caught My Eye, though not Touch Screen:

4. S$499 - Philips 273P3LPHEB (27 Inch Monitor , Non Touch Screen)

Can't find any video on this model on Youtube.



Conclusion:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out of all the models that I've listed above, I'm going for the:
S$799 - Acer T272HL (27 Inch Touch Screen Monitor)






-->


I think the price is cheaper than Dell's 23" model and the design of the display was better than Dell's as well. It has a floating design and looks slim. It's also easy to maneuver the tilt of the display.





Acer Flyer at PC Show, Singapore, 6 - 9 June 2013 with Price List:



The Price, Design and Function won me over.


However, it is currently out of stock. Will have to wait about 2 - 3 weeks before I can get my hands on the monitor. It's been a long wait since Feb 2013. Been researching and looking for monitors and monitor sensors for about 5 months.


Brand and Product Comparison, What I've Learnt...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was kinda surprised that the Acer Monitor was cheaper than the Dell Monitor, coz my perception was that Dell was the brand that offered the lowest entry level pricing for computer peripherals.


The initial Dell 23" Touch Screen monitor that I found on the web around Feb to Apr 2013, cost around USD 899, so the price seems to have dropped to S$769, which was an improvement.

However, it's still kinda pricey when you compare it to the Acer displays. The design of the Dell monitor is also more bulky looking.





Dell also offered only the 23" model. (S$769)
Acer had more options for the consumer: 27" (S$799) model and 23" (S$599) model.

1. I can save about S$170 (769 - 599 = 170) if i buy the Acer 23" (S$599) instead of Dell 23" (S$769) model.
2. This means for S$30 more, I could have upgraded the from 23"(DELL)  to 27" (ACER).
Which is really a good deal.


The S$499 - Philips 273P3LPHEB (27 Inch Monitor , Non Touch Screen) was also kinda cool, as it had an ergonomic design that allowed you to adjust the height and it also swiveled easily to suit your eye level and angle that you're sitting at.






I was tempted to buy the Philips Model at first, coz its $499 for 27" but non touch screen. But I realised, if I just topped up about S$100 more, I could have a 23" Touch Screen Monitor from Acer at S$599.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Update 9 Nov 2013:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's been about 3 months since
I bought the Acer T232HL bmidz 23-Inch Touch Screen LCD Display
 (27 Inch Touch Screen Monitor).
Wanna do a post review on my purchase.

Overall, I'm very happy with the purchase. Wish I bought it earlier. :)
Love the big screen and I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos on it.
It's sort of like a TV to me now.

I think I was using the Touch screen function for the 1st two weeks only.
Playing games and experimenting.
But once things returned to normal, or my novelty wore off.
I used it mainly as a monitor.
I occasionally zoom things with my fingers on screen for fun.

Additional thing I found out about the Monitor is that it was 3 usb ports at the side,
which was great as I could just attach my usb drive easily.

I think the main gripe I have is:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. The tilted stand at the back of the monitor.
It's kinda difficult to move into the slot that was intended.
I had to use a lot of strength and I was afraid of "hurting" it.

2. Swiping is difficult across a big screen. Not as easy as a phone or tablet.

3.  I can't find a 27" screen protector easily or cheaply.

4. There are fingerprints left on the screen if I use it frequently. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall, I love the monitor. It has changed the way I use my computer and my lifestyle as well.
I'm now officially a YouTube junkie.
Loving all the HD videos!



 In addition, my SO sometimes uses his MBP with the monitor.
It works perfectly and resembles an iMac.
So the monitor alternates between a Mac and Windows platform depending on our needs effortlessly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But for touchscreen functions for Mac, you will need to install/purchase a driver at
http://www.touch-base.com 

Won't recommend it.
We tried it, but the Mac software
is not really configured for touch screen functionality.
So when you touch the screen, you can't drag, slide, pinch or zoom.
The touch function acts like the mouse cursor.
Can't scroll with 2 fingers.
You have to touch the scrollbar on the right and move your finger down on it.
So there's no point.

Touch function is better for Windows 8.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


End. 

1 comments:

cm said...

Thanks for the review. and the post-review.

Too bad there arent any budget options out there T.T