Singpost ~ Quest For Amusement
SEARCH BLOG


Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Illustrations from Henrietta Harris


Chanced upon Henrietta Harris works via the Stumble Upon App.

The medium she uses include pencil and water colors.


The images are stark and arresting with
swirling lines that distort the proportions of the main subject.

It has a distinctive raw look, style and feel.
It invokes modern day melancholy, detachment and disillusionment to me.


It also sort of looks like a glitch.. like a electric circuit meltdown...
or if you've watch The Matrix, a coding malfunction.

Psychedelic electronic inspired art with subdued pastel colors.

With hints of influence from Dali and Surrealism.







It's exciting to watch how she develops with different subjects, techniques and movements.




------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excerpt:
"About Henrietta Harris
  I was born and raised in Auckland, New Zealand and have been drawing and painting forever."

"  How did you first get into illustration?

    I'd always drawn and painted as a child and teenager. After school I did a Bachelor of Art and Design and they sucked the life out of me, but then I started making gig posters and creating better work and things snowballed from there.


    How would you best describe your style of illustration?

    I like to think it has a timeless look that won't go in or out of fashion, not that I care about that anyway... Watercolour and gouache portraiture probably best sums it up simply.
    Please take us through your design process, where do you start?

    I spend lots of time researching images, photography design and film, then collect and compile them. I paint them off my computer screen for reference, usually. The melty face paintings are laid out in photoshop first. All the actual painting is done by hand, all I do afterwards is slightly clean up paintings as my scanner makes them a bit dark........"


0 comments: